• Accessibility A A A
  • Google Translate

Corporate information

Safeguarding adults and children

Safeguarding Adults (individuals aged 18 and over)


Ealing CCG, as part of the CWHHE Collaborative, have a responsibility to ensure that clear arrangements are in place with health providers they commission from (including those subcontracted to deliver commissioning services on behalf of the CCG) safeguard and promote the welfare of adults at risk of abuse or neglect. 

The NHS Accountability and Assurance Framework sets out that CCGs are required to ensure that they have appropriate systems in place for discharging their responsibilities in respect of safeguarding, including:

- Plans to train their employees in recognising and reporting safeguarding issues

- A clear line of accountability for safeguarding, properly reflected in the CCG governance arrangements

- Appropriate arrangements to co-operate with local authorities in the operation of - Safeguarding Adult Boards (SAB) 

- Ensuring effective arrangements for information sharing

- The CCG has a Named Lead Professional for; 

- The Mental Capacity Act (MCA)

- PREVENT (part of the Counterterrorism Strategy)

- A Designated Adult Safeguarding Manager (DASM)

Who does Safeguarding Adults apply to?

The Care Act (2014) states that safeguarding duties apply to an adult who:

- Has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs) and;

- Is experiencing, or at risk of, abuse or neglect; and as a result of those care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect.

Abuse Types/Definitions

Current accepted definitions in the Care Act (2014) are;

- Physical abuse - e.g. assault, hitting, slapping, pushing, misuse of medication.

- Restraint or inappropriate physical sanctions.

- Domestic violence - including psychological, physical, sexual, financial, emotional abuse; so called ‘honour’ based violence.

- Sexual abuse - including rape, indecent exposure, sexual harassment, inappropriate looking or touching, sexual teasing or innuendo, sexual photography, subjection to pornography or witnessing sexual acts, indecent exposure and sexual assault or sexual acts to which the adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting).

- Psychological abuse – including emotional abuse, threats of harm or abandonment, deprivation of contact, humiliation, blaming, controlling, intimidation, coercion, harassment, verbal abuse, cyber bullying, isolation or unreasonable and unjustified withdrawal of services or supportive networks.

- Financial or material abuse – including theft, fraud, internet scamming, coercion in relation to an adult’s financial affairs or arrangements, including in connection with wills, property, inheritance or financial transactions, or the misuse or misappropriation of property, possessions or benefits.

- Modern slavery– encompasses slavery, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude.

- Discriminatory abuse – including forms of harassment, slurs or similar treatment; because of race, gender and gender identity, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.

- Organisational abuse – including neglect and poor care practice within an institution or specific care setting such as a hospital or care home.
- Neglect and acts of omission – including ignoring medical, emotional or physical care needs, failure to provide access to appropriate health, care and support or educational services, the withholding of the necessities of life, such as medication, adequate nutrition and heating
- Self-neglect – this covers a wide range of behaviour neglecting to care for one’s personal hygiene, health or surroundings and includes behaviour such as hoarding. 
- How/who should I raise Safeguarding Adult concerns to?
- Safeguarding Adults Concerns should be raised to the relevant Local Authority Safeguarding Adults Team. 

Any member of the public can raise safeguarding concerns relating to an adult in need of care and support. This could be;

- The person experiencing the alleged abuse

- Relatives

- Friends

- Carers

Professional staff also have a duty to consider raising concerns however additional considerations will need applying such as issues around consent and mental capacity. Professional must follow the guidance as set out in London multi-agency Safeguarding Adults Policy and Procedures.

Raising concerns relating to Ealing Residents

- Contact the social care customer contact centre (020) 8825 8000, email sscallcentre@ealing.gov.uk - opening hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-4.30pm

- Emergency duty team (EDT) - (020) 8825 5000. The EDT operates out of office hours from 5pm Mon-Fri to business opening time the next working day. At weekends it operates from 5pm on Friday through to business opening time on Monday. The service is extended to cover bank holidays and other public holidays when it operates 24 hours a day.

- If you feel and adult in need of care and support (or any child) is at immediate risk of harm you should contact the police by calling 999, this should be in addition to any standard safeguarding referral.


Designated Adult Safeguarding & Clinical Quality Managers:

Richard Christou, NHS Ealing CCG